Thursday 6 November 2008

The dreaded e-mail and Disney induced insanity

Well, the e-mail arrived in my inbox today. Let me tell you the story:

Well the forums had been going crazy with so many people tense and uptight with impatience and worry over when we were going to hear back from Disney via Yummy Jobs. Then they went down for a good few days and you could barely get on them at all...so I was out of the news loop for a while.

Not suspecting anything, when I checked my e-mails today, this was what was waiting for me:

Dear Victoria (Vicki)

On behalf of The Disney International Program Recruiters and all at Yummy Jobs we would like to thank you once again for attending the recent interview. We enjoyed talking with you and sincerely appreciate your interest in Disney’s International Programs.

We would very much have liked to consider you for the Cultural Representative Program and you were brilliant but unfortunately we are unable to offer you a position at the moment but we will hold your details on file until February and if position becomes available we will contact you to find out if you are available.

Once again thank you for attending the interviews and we look forward to the opportunity of offering you a position in the future.

Kindest regards,

Michele

Yummy Jobs was my reaction because I thought it was a flat out no and they were just being nice about it in a very Disney way!

However, when the forums came back up and news started to come in from everyone else, it seems that all is not lost (and I'm not alone on the waiting list)! It says they haven't got a position for me at the mo, not that they didn't like me
We could still be offered a post apparently, if they need more people or have someone drop out/get terminated/decide they can't commit etc. Even so, I'm distraught and in two (or more) minds about what to do. I can either: do nothing and wait for them to call, bearing in mind that the call may never come OR I can ask them to take my details off of the list, forgoing my right to be offered a job if one comes up, but enabling me to apply again for departures from September.

Confused? I am. I'm also keeping it a secret at the mo. You may then be asking why on Earth I'm posting this blog on the internet. Well the simple answer is, that if I don't tell someone, I may just spontaneously combust Most of the guys I was interviewed with got in and I am so happy for them its unbelievable; they deserved it so much and will make ace CRCMs. Having met them, I can vouch for that 100% On the other hand, its kind of like they've moved on and left me and the others behind - and its true, they have. It makes it a bit bittersweet for us though....
We do have to be grateful for small mercies though, some people got rejected outright and that must have been a terrible blow for them. Is knowing one way or the other better I wonder? Yes; if you got in, no; if you didn't!

What I've been trying to figure out is why some of us were waitlisted. You know - what factors led to it...
At first I thought it was because I chose Merch as my preference and they don't have as many roles (80% of participants go in to food&bev). No, not neccissarily. Someone else on the waiting list asked for f&b. Then I thought it must be start date, as I'm only available from August. No, not neccissarily. Someone else on the waiting list said they were able to go straight away! Maybe its a combination of the two....

I JUST WANT A PHONE CALL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE GOT TO TELL THEM THAT THEIR DREAM HAD COME TRUE! AND I WANT IT NOW!! AND I HATE WAITING AND NOT KNOWING AND LIVING IN FEAR OF NEVER HEARING ANYTHING!!! FINALLY, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO JOIN IN MY WDWIP FRIENDS' EXCITEMENT AT GOING TO WORK AT DISNEY FOR A YEAR TOGETHER!!!!

Rant over
Shall I leave you with a thought? I will - just because trying to come up with one will help me cope and I need coping strategies!

"Patience with others is Love, Patience with self is Hope, Patience with God is Faith." (Adel Bestavros)

No comments: