Thursday 3 September 2009

Momentum 09

22nd-26th August 2009, Bath and West Showground, camping on Purple 6 with SUCU.

Travel: Good. Not including the massive jams on the way down.

Set-up: Swift and slightly puzzling. The debate over the perfect place to pitch and which way the door should face was extensive.

Arrival of camping buddy: Tom actually arrived after me, which is stunning considering he's coming from Surrey and chose the moment I'd gone to get a programme from Information. Oh well, once Tristan had moved his car Tom pitched next to me!

Food: We'd carefully planned each night's menu beforehand, so I had bought the exact amounts of stuff we needed. Tom supplied the stoves and gas - excellent coordination! We BBQed on the first night and patronised the stands on the last.
There were assorted trips to the crepe stall etc in between.
We found that my tent was an excellent wind break to cook behind and so since its pretty high up and open on Purple 6, we were lucky!

First meeting: You can't match the anticipation and excitement of heading over to the Big Top on the first day! 3500 other people, Mike Pilavachi, Andy Croft, an awesome worsip band and a great talk - all a great taste of the am and pm meetings for the next four days.
As usual I was also interested in such matters as the drummer's facial expression (or lack of), the hairstyle of one of the guitarists, whether or not we'd see the return of Desert Scarf Guy, which songs we'd be singing and who was leading worhip...

Sung) Worship: I'll admit I had trouble - initially - getting on with some of the new songs, most of which came from Ben Cantelon's new album "Running After You" and the Tim Hughes live album "Happy Day". Although, one of my favourites was actually from Matt Redman's new album "We Shall Not Be Shaken": "You Alone Can Rescue".
Twas led by Sam Parker and Andi Arganda most times and then when he arrived, Tim Hughes shared the leading.


Tentage: Well I was camping solo for the first time at Momentum - it was odd not to be sharing with Rachel, but she was preparing for James and Emma's Wedding in Soton (see next blog!) or Kathryn, but she was at her brother's 18th.
Tom was in his tent opposite.
On the plus-side, I had a 4man that you can almost stand up in (if you're my height) to myself!! There was plenty of storage space for food etc and for 2 people to sit on the floor.
On the down-side, when the wind reached gale force 10 and I *honestly* thought that my tent was going to blow over and away, I was on my own. But the heavy boxes of food held the tent down, so all was safe and secure in the end! I also came up with an excellent way to keep warm - which *just* kept my body temperature above freezing!

Seminars: Went to some really varied seminars actually, but they were all very helpful in emphasising that its all about RELATIONSHIP with God. In a relationship, you spend quality time together, you know each other, you tell each other things, you trust each other and that doesn't suddenly change because something bad/unexpected/challenging happens.
Twas a real challenge to me to Pray, Study the Bible, Meditate, Serve and Worship. Yet instead of feeling condemned, I was encouraged, so all is good!
Must mention the Dating seminar run by Tim+Rachel Hughes. I've never seen a seminar so full up - and then they told us to split up in to girls and boys > pandemonium! We were so close to them and each other it was funny. But it was very good as the whole thing was composed of questions from us! I find it funny that Tim Hughes is so reserved in real life, but he gives a really good example of a Godly guy and it was encouraging to see.

Weather(!): Always worth a mention when it comes to Momentum. Weather at home prior to departure was very hot and sunny - this of course ended the day we travelled down to Somerset, it rained. The rain made appearances on at least 2 more days and there were very strong gales most days. The sun did make appearances, but never very strongly, it wasn't sunbathing weather.
The funniest occasion was on the morning of the last full day when it was - funnily enough - raining. We were all in the Big Top, in the middle of the worship in the Main Meeting. Now there is the occasional tiny hole in the roof of the marquee, but this was something entirely above and beyond. A veritable torrent of water was coming in - directly over the top of the very-expensive-looking drum kit! Now there was a little roof on the top of the drum enclosure, but it didn't cover the drummer himself and I think he got a wee bit wet!! I noticed it before he did, but then when he did realise, it was highly amusing how he couldn't stop but kept casting nervous glances upwards!

God: God was very good to me at Momentum, teaching me lessons in the way only He can. Gently yet firmly. As I said, He spoke to me about relationship with Him, which I'm working on! He also provided a lovely lady from the Welfare Team called Angie who helped me muchly in a couple of sessions after I had a fight with the floor under the power of the Spirit!

I may add more, but that's most of it! It was an awesome few days and a well-needed break. God did awesome stuff and I was reminded of how great He is! I'll be back again soon. Much love.

No comments: