Thursday 2 December 2010

The Advent of the White Stuff!

Morning all! I won't risk saying "Good morning" incase you're stuck on a train still trying to get home from work yesterday, or you've fallen over in the ice!!

So, yeah, we have snow. That's the major news. Current measurements are 13" or 33cm in my back garden and its still sporadically falling. Yesterday and today have been snow days at Helenswood where I was meant to be invigilating. I went in to Argos for a 3hr shift yesterday and also got in to school for the Maths exam on Tuesday. Today we're venturing only as far as Sainsbury's (directly across the road from us) and the back garden to take amusing videos of the dogs like this one:



The snow began over the weekend and hasn't really let up since. So now we're on snow day no 2, most of the country is on snow days actually, so there's been plenty of kids roaming the streets with sledges and throwing snow balls etc. Speaking of sledges, we had to put a sign up at work to say that we didn't have any sledges available for sale cos the 18 we had in stock were reserved for other customers - that's if they could get out and down to Argos to collect them!!

Very excitingly I now know what I'm buying everyone for Christmas! Parents are all done and dusted - apart from one thing for my Mum which is in the post (and therefore may take a lil while to come!). Sarah and Tom's presents are also available but getting hold of them is weather-dependant!

So we have 23 days til Christmas now. I had every intention of getting myself an advent calendar but it never happened :-( Nevertheless, Mum and I have already opened the Christmas chocolates, snack mix and, last night, the parents got started on the Christmas booze! Very festive.

As I hinted at in the title, we're also now in Advent! Advent Sunday was last Sunday and now we're looking forward to Christmas Day, marking the day when the Light of the World came into it as a baby. Remember the words of John 1: 1-12 that reminds us that "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it" (v5) and "Yet to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God" (v12).

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Well we've been out in to the wintery wilderness - I wore my wellies and the snow wasn't far off of the tops! People were parking everywhere; you couldn't tell kerb from road or distinguish any parking spaces. Sainsbury's is completely out of bread and milk:


The dogs certainly seem to enjoy the snow and I have too, but I have to admit with a great deal of reluctance, that, after a while, the novelty value wears off and you realise that its going to have cost you pretty much a week's wages! Also the temperature is due to drop to -6C tonight, so I should freeze my bum off tonight in bed!

That's about all to report at the mo. I'll be back to report as significant events unfold (should there actually be any - since the whole country is at a standstill!)
Dress sensibly and wrap up warm - have fun while the white stuff lasts!

5 comments:

Ulysses Gray said...

I have yours and Sarah's presents sat on top of my printer :D I thought you were going to slip and say what my present was, but you disappointed me.

Some oik threw a snowball at me on my way home today!

Vicki said...

No, no, no slips. I'm only mentioning them to get you intrigued!
Yes, there's been quite a lot of "oik"age today - a group of lads tried to steal the dog food out of our trolley!!
Why is your name Ulurhu or whatever it is??

Ulysses Gray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ulysses Gray said...

It's an in-joke at work. I was getting people to guess my middle name and the best someone could come up with was "Udludludloo". Now that's all she calls me and it's catching :) I've removed it from here now though, because no one who reads my blog will understand.

Stealing dog food?! That's a new low, how very oiky.
And I am very intrigued...

Vicki said...

Yay, then again so am I about what you and Sarah have got me... We shall see! Cool. Its very sad that all the snow is gane and is replaced with rubbis rain. Have a nice day, whatever you get up to!
xx